[WEB4LIB] Libraries and eBay

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Tue Feb 1 17:56:54 EST 2000

Tuesday, February 01, 2000, 9:29:01 AM, you wrote:

THH> Colleagues,

THH> this may not be the right forum, but I'd be really interested in hearing
THH> from other libraries if policies have been laid down to place bids on Ebay
THH> for relevant (and sometimes unique) items.

When I ran across some items on our desiderata list that were
available on eBay for very reasonable prices (and they sold for
reasonable ones, too).  Our acquisitions staff checked and found out
that the State of Idaho will not permit bidding on auction lots.  They
advised that I could, naturally, buy the items and donate them to the
library.  And of course it isn't permitted for me to sell them to the
library, as I'm a state employee.

I understand the reasons for such regulations, but think that the regs
need some updating.

THH> UW - Madison libraries are discussing this issue right now, and the
THH> general understanding is to give the green light to bibliographers for
THH> bidding (within a responsible framework and limits), but not for acting
THH> as a seller, as could be envisioned with some specific, collectable
THH> duplicates.

Personally, I think the library should be able to sell on ebay too.
And why not?  We sell discards on a sale shelf for a quarter each.
Other libraries have big, annual sales.  If there are prime itmes that
we don't need, why not maximize the income to the library?

As a seller on eBay the one problem I can forsee is that in some
institutions getting payment to the seller in a timely manner could be
a problem. Most eBay sellers expect payment within ten to fourteen
days.  But if you can cut and mail a check quickly, why not buy at a
reasonable price?

cheers

dan

(dan at 84.com on ebay)

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID  83716-7115  USA
dan at 84.com   www.84.com   www.postcard.org  208-383-0165