[WEB4LIB] Scanning Fiche

reitene at okstate.edu reitene at okstate.edu
Tue Feb 29 11:15:36 EST 2000

Cindy Chick <cchick at netcom.com>@webjunction.org on 02/28/2000 08:09:12
PM

Please respond to cchick at netcom.com

Sent by:  web4lib at webjunction.org

To:   Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at webjunction.org>
cc:    (bcc: Elizabeth A Reiten/lib/Okstate)

Subject:  [WEB4LIB] Scanning Fiche

Has anyone used Brodart's "Image Mouse Digital Microfiche Retrieval
System"?  According to the write-up, this handy-dandy item "views, scans,
digitizes and enhances microfiche."  The cost is $1,215, much cheaper
than a new microfiche-reader-printer.  But does anyone know if it
actually works?

Cindy Chick                   cchick at netcom.com
National Library Technology Coordinator
Latham & Watkins

I took about 15 minutes at Midwinter and got the demo and actually got to
play with their new handheld scanner myself.  I was really impressed.  It
does take some practice to get the hand movements down, since you do need
to be slower and smoother than most of us are with our mice, but once you
get used to that (and the lag time between your movement and the screen
refresh), I think it would be really handy.  I didn't win the drawing, but
I tried!

As I recall, the software requirements were fairly simple, as well.  Pretty
much the same type of system you'd have for a regular scanner.

Beth Reiten, Librarian
Digital Library Services
Edmon Low Library
Oklahoma State University