[WEB4LIB] Library needs assistance justifying on-site support

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Sat Feb 26 11:07:53 EST 2000

Karen,

I'm one of those technical support staff who wears 2 hats.  I "work" for
the library but I'm technically a member of the Township's IS department.
Before I was hired, the library relied on the IS department to provide
support.  The result was the creation of my position because the library's
needs far exceeded the ability of the staff to provide support.  Some of
the problems may have been staffing-related -- the IS needs Township-wide
may have been greater than the exisiting staff could support.

However, even with adequate staff, I think an argument can be made for a
library-specific staff person.  The library's needs can be complex and
because much of the support is with software and hardware used by the
public, they tend to be different from most governmental departments where
the computer uses are internal to the department.  If the library is
supporting a circulation/catalog system in-house, having staff on-site is
critical - those systems can't "wait" for staff to be available.  Also,
having a tech staff dedicated to the library allows that person to become
familiar with the "unique" needs of library technology.

Having said that, I do find my "mixed" role [I also "coordinate" the
Township's web site] to be a benefit.  My ability to interact daily with
other Township IS staff means that I am exposed to a wider range of
problems and solutions than if I worked exclusively at the library.

The reason the library was able to create my position was because they
were willing to pay for it.  Because the library pays for my position, the
Director makes sure that I spend the majority of my time on library
support.  The IS director is very good about not making claims on my time
because of this relationship.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library