[WEB4LIB] Gale database access

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Sat Feb 26 10:55:01 EST 2000

Karen,

This is the question I hear about most frequently [maybe I need a FAQ?].
My answer is to get simple.  Instead of entering all of the domain names
associated with database, find the common "base" domain used by all. For
example, use:

galegroup.com, gale.com

instead of

infotrac.galegroup.com, galenet.gale.com

Theoretically, this allows access to ALL of the sites at gale but the
would-be Internet surfers aren't going to go wild there.
:)

I have these setup at work using Navigator 4.08 but it should work fine
with IE 5.  If that doesn't do the trick, let me know.

RE: remote access - we have remote access to the Infotrac sites and it
uses a ridiculously simple ID method.  We hide ours in a script but I've
seen sites that just link with the URL.  The hard part is getting the info
from Infotrac[Gale].  Apparently, they don't seem to mind the easy access.
They do have the RPAS method but it is definitely another whole level of
complication.

Andrew "Mutchomatic" Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library