[WEB4LIB] RE: Funny User Stories

Sue Kamm suekamm at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 22 20:37:01 EST 2000

We use vendacoder (debit) cards at our Internet workstations.  Kids
frequently inserted their library cards, thinking  that was how to pay
for prints.  The workstations have moved to another part of the library,
so I don't know if kids' cards are still jamming the readers; we solved
the problem by having our new library cards equipped with magnetic
strips that borrowers can put money on.

Staff also schedules computers.  We have  scanners at the stations where
people use the Internet, and staff scans cards to make sure users' cards
are valid.  We had four computers that were "express" -- twenty minutes,
first come, first served, no library card required, and no printing  --
but after a couple of people nearly came to blows over whose turn it
was, we pulled the workstations off the floor.  They will probably go
into the audio-visual division.  People will check out the workstations
as we do for viewing/listening stations in the same area.  The immediate
result:  It's a LOT quieter in the area where the machines were!

--
Your friendly CyberGoddess and ALA Councilor,
Sue Kamm
email:  suekamm at mindspring.com
Visit my web page:  http://suekamm.home.mindspring.com/index.htm
Dogs come when they are called.  Cats take a message and get back to you.