[WEB4LIB] RE: Do we want a .lib or .library domain?

Richard Wiggins wiggins at mail.com
Wed Dec 20 23:28:40 EST 2000

This business of inventing a name space that mirrors reality turns out to be HARD, which is why it's taken so long to create an ICANN and to have it create a handful of new Top Level Domains.

Are new TLDs just new name spaces, or do they imply some sort of authenticity if one is granted a name within?  The two character country codes have had a few disputes that have arisen (thanks to wars and such) but they can always ask the UN to define what a country is.

The new .pro space, for instance, seems straightforward: accountants, lawyers, physicians.  But I'm sure there will be lots of disputes at the boundaries, involving chiropractors, optometrists, faith healers, let alone bookkeepers and paralegals.

And there's always trademark disputes, made infinitely more complex with a .pro in Timbuktu sharing a global space with a pro in Des Moines...

If there were a .lib space, what kind of objects would be allowed to fill it?  Public libraries?  University libraries?  Corporate libraries?  Private reading rooms in New York City? Who would be the keeper of the flame, ensuring that no non-libraries joined the club?

Would it be broken down geographically, or flat like .com?

The day Kraft decided to register macaroniandcheese.com, simplicity in Internet name space went away.  The recent perversion of .TV even ended purity of country codes. So if you create .lib, you need to have a vision of what you want it to do, and who gets the job of keeping some crafty applicant from deviating from that vision.  :-)

/rich