[WEB4LIB] RE: Do we want a .lib or .library domain?

Yuliya V Lef ylef at usd.edu
Wed Dec 20 16:06:18 EST 2000

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Jenny Levine wrote:
> > I kind of think that people don't really care that libraries are online.
> > Yahoo is easier and to be quite honest it can often be a pain in the butt to
> > find your local libraries website (if it has one).
>
> 	If your people don't care that your library is online, then you
> don't have a good online presence and you certainly haven't filled it
> with things that are useful to them.  Online catalogs are a wonderful

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seemed that Steve was talking about
typical person's attitude toward libraries' web presence.  The first
example that comes to mind is a bunch of my close friends, most of whom
are computer geeks, who spend hours on line. They all recently got their
graduate degrees. They are bright, and are very much information literate.
Yet the concept of digital libraries is entirely foreign to them.  Their
vision of a librarian is an old lady shelving books.  I have the wrong
friends, you'll say.  Possibly :) But if I am the first person who tells
them any differently, than may be we are not doing a very good job with
advertising. My friends are part of the MTV generation. And since this is
the message they get from the media, they accept it as the ultimate truth.

I know that this problem has been discussed hundreds of times. And
unfortunately, I don't have any ultimate solution. But I think we should
use all the means at our disposal. May be one of them will work.

       Yuliya Lef                              Phone: (605) 677-6615
      Web Resources Librarian                 Email: ylef at usd.edu

                        I.D. Weeks Library
                       University of South Dakota
                      Vermillion, SD 57069