NetLibrary questions for SLJ

Minkel, Walter (Cahners -NYC) WMinkel at cahners.com
Fri Dec 15 09:39:59 EST 2000

Folks-- For a column I'm writing for an upcoming SLJ, I'd like to hear from
anyone whose library is using NetLibrary's services. I have a couple of
questions:

1) How long have you been using NetLibrary? How has it gone so far? Are
people (both staff & users) happy with it?

2) Does it matter to you--or to any of your staff--that the e-book files
aren't actually in the possession of the library, but remain--and are
managed--by NetLibrary? (What I'm getting at with this question is that
actual ownership of books, if NetLibrary is a window to the future, seems to
be drifting away from libraries as e-books (and reference databases as
opposed to old-fashioned paper reference books) are added to the mix. Am I
wrong?)

3) Do you notice young people (anyone under 18) making much use of
NetLibrary's collection? If so, details would be appreciated.

Thanks very much! --W