Open up batch files via Web Page

Bert Coenen Bert.Coenen at law.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu Dec 14 01:08:59 EST 2000

The url is http://www.law.kuleuven.ac.be/lib/datalijst.htm ,
it is a list of all the databases to which we offer some type of access,
ranging from locally installed CDs over networked CDs to web-databases.

The page is in dutch, so you probably won't make too much of it; we only link
directly to a pif-file for one of these databases, you cannot see the pif file
that the hyperlink points to since it resides on a local server, you can
however see the type of link you should use. When you position your mouse
pointer over JUDIT (fourth database from the top in the left column) and check
the status bar (file:// etc.)

For the other local databases we use a plug-in called webcd, which uses its
own type of cds-files to start up executables or batch files from within
netscape. You can save and view one of these cds files to get an idea of what
they look like. For more information on this plug-in, check the web4lib
archive for one of my previous postings on the subject.
(http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/searchweb4lib.pl?query=bert+coenen&index=
web4lib.00.swish)

A PIF-file is like a shortcut to a DOS program or batch-file, you create it in
the same way as you'd create a regular shortcut (drag and drop the batch-file
with the right mouse button, and select create shortcut here). You can change
the way a program (or batch-file) behaves (window-size, close on exit etc.) by
changing the properties of its pif-file (right-click onto the pif-file). We
had to copy our PIF-files to the user's hard drive (directory: c:\windows\pif
- on a win9x machine) to ensure uniform behaviour of our batch-files
throughout the library, just incorporate the copy action in the batch-file.

Hope this helps.

Bert Coenen
Bibliotheek Rechtsgeleerdheid
Tiensestraat 41