EJI: A Registry of Innovative E-Journal Features and Functionalities

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Mon Dec 11 17:19:08 EST 2000

   _EJI: A Registry of Innovative E-Journal Features and Functionalities_

  I am pleased to announce the establishment of a new registry entitled _EJI_
[pronounced E.J.I. _or_ 'edgy"}. _EJI_ is a registry of "Innovative E-Journal Features and Functionalities" available at

            [   http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/EJI.htm ]

   Presently the following categories have been established for EJI:

   *  Accelerated Publication
   * Citation Management
   * Collective E-Journals
   * Indexing
   * Issue-In-Progress
   * Manuscript Submission and Tracking Systems
   * Open Peer Review
   * Overlay E-Journals
   * Personalized E-Journals
   * Reactive E-Journals
   * Virtual E-Journals
   * Virtual Filing Cabinets

    I have chosen not to define each category at this time and hope that
MyWebColleague  will understand the nature of each category by visiting the linked entries.

   I am greatly interested in learning about *other* e-journals that have these features and functionalities.

   I am also interested in learning about other 'innovative' or 'cutting-edge' e-journal features and functionalities as well as the e-journals that exhibit these.
I have identified several additional features and functionalities and hope that MYWebColleagues are aware of such progressive e-journals. These are:

      * Annotative E-Journals
             E-Journals that permit a reader to annotate the text of
             an e-article with personal comments [This category would also
            e-journals that allow a reader to highlight within an e-article or to
            make verbal annotations that would be appended to the
             text. It could also include e-journals that include an audio
            annotation by the author(s) to supplement an e-article's text]

       * Collaborative E-Journals
             E-Journal that include a features that allows a reader
             to retrieve the articles that were read by other readers
             who also read the article currently being read by
             a reader [The Amazon feature " Those who bought Book A
             also bought Book B, C and D]

       * Raw and Supplemental Data    / Computer Code
             This would include e-journals that allow an author
              to include direct / access to raw or supplemental
              data that is analyzed in the e-article; or software
              code for analyzing the data

        * Interactive Formulae, Graphs and/or Models
              This would include e-journals that allow readers to
              interactive with formulas with the text of an article
              to consider other possibilities with other data
              or datasets

         * Relatedness
            This a function found in Science Citation Index CD-ROM
            that allows for the identification of 'related' papers based upon
            the degree of shared references. This made be identified as
            a 'related' function in the e-journal or a 'find similar' function.

         * Database Access
           This would include e-journals that provide either
            explicit or implicit access to database records either as
           a separate database (e.g., Medline) or as a link to database
           records (e.g., Science Direct)

          * Advanced Display
             This would include e-journals that provide the ability to display
             the results of a search in an alternative format, for example. using
            visualization technologies  such as SPIRE  and other visualization
             technologies developed at the Pacific Northwest National
             Laboratory [ http://multimedia.pnl.gov:2080/infoviz/index.html ],
            or those developed out of Xerox PARC [http://www.inxight.com/ ]
            or Kohomen Self-Organzing Semantic  Maps (SOMs)
             [  e.g., http://websom.hut.fi/websom/ ]

        * E-Journal Page Customization
           E-Journals that allow a reader to customize an e-journal
          based upon personal display or organizational  preferences

                         [QUITE A LIST, Huh? [:-)]

    As Always, Any and All Contributions, Suggestions, Candidates, Critiques, Questions, Comments, Recounts, Cosmic Insights. etc. Are Most Welcome!

    Regards,

Gerry McKiernan
Edgy Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

           "The Best Way to Predict the Future is to Invent It!"
                                                Alan Kay