[WEB4LIB] streaming audio/video?

GRAY, PAUL PAUL.GRAY at TCCD.NET
Fri Dec 8 11:41:37 EST 2000

As tech support for our library I argued against providing headphones on the
reference area stations and supporting streaming audio and video for several
reasons - including the ones you mention.

But - the key word in my job description is -support- so when they
determined they wanted it - it was my job to 'make it so'.  So we provide
Shockwave, RealAudio, QuickTime and Windows Media player.

Yes - we do have frequent slow downs due to bandwidth congestion.  But being
on a 4-campus WAN managed by our District officials - it is hard to point to
a specific bottleneck.

The biggest identifiable problem we have had is Netscape refusing to close
cleanly because of plugins running in the background.

I tend to agree with your thoughts - and common sense says we are correct.
But I am afraid I can't provide you with any hard statistical support.

Paul H. Gray,Manager - Library LAN & CLC
TCC Northeast Campus Library, Hurst, TX
817-515-6623
"Those Williams boys they still mean a lot to me - - - Hank and Tennessee"