[WEB4LIB] Cataloguing of Internet Resources

Heinrich C. Kuhn hck at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Dec 7 10:05:53 EST 2000

>     I would like to know more from you that where to start
> cataloguing of internet resources, how to start and which
> is the best way to implement this.

It might be a good solution to keep the cataloguing of
internet resources as similar to the cataloguing of other
resources, because:
1.)    The users of your cataloguing data for internet
       resources who are used to your cataloguing for other
       resources won't have to learn a completely new set of
       rules.
2.)    You yourself won't have to learn a completely new set
       of rules.
3.)    Some "families" of cataloguing rules already now have
       fixed additional rules concerning the cataloguing of
       internet resources; if you are adhering to such a
       family of cataloguing rules, you can stick to well
       discussed and tested standards (and can find assistance
       from others who are using the same family of rules).
4.)    In case you should want to integrate you catalogue
       of internet resources with your catalogue of other
       resources into a single common catalogue: this will be
       the easier the more similar are the rules you for
       the respective resources viz.. catalogues.

Some things however probably will have to differ from the
cataloguing of other sorts of resources:
1.)    To make it possible that persons using your catalogue
       will know what the person doing the cataloguing did
       see: wherever possible: do give information about
       the date-of-last-modification (or other version in-
       formation) of the catalogued resource.
2.)    For the same reason: do provide information about
       when the cataloguing person did see the resource in
       the form it was catalogued.
3.)    Use a robot to check from time to time for all the
       internet resources catalogued: whether they are still
       existing at the place where the catalogue assumes them
       to be, and whether there were major changes of the
       internet resource catalogued that might merit an
       update of the respective entry in your catalogue.

> I just aware of Doublin core metadata element set

The FAQ for Dublin core is at URL

http://purl.org/dc/education/index.htm

> and at the same
> time would like here more from you that who are effectively
> done cataloguing of e-sources can you give me URL's to
> explore more about that.

In case you should be interested in an example of such cata-
loguing from our site: you might have a look at GGRENir at
URL

http://www.phil-hum-ren.uni-muenchen.de/GGRENirDB/

you can access the database via browsing and via searching.
Whenever you go for a retrieval "in definitely verbose format"
you can get an impression of how the items where catalogued.

HTH

Heinrich C. Kuhn