Secure directory

George Fowler FowlerG at cts.db.erau.edu
Tue Dec 5 11:17:04 EST 2000

     Hi all,

     We are starting to implement an electronic reserves in our library.
     We are going to use our catalog, Voyager, to access these reserves.

     The system we plan to use seemed very simple; we would create a secure
     directory on our Apache server, and within this directory we would
     create subdirectories that contain the reserve items for a particular
     class when they got added.  All links from Voyager for a particular
     class would go to a login.htm type page within each subdirectory that
     would require them to input a password that they received from their
     instructor.  After validating, they would see an "index page" listing
     all documents on reserve for that class.

     I would like to insure that none of the pages in this directory could
     be bookmarked, accessed directly by entering the URL, or in anyway
     accessed without validating through the login page.

     Sounds easy.  The problem I'm having with our IT department is that
     they are saying we would need commercial software to protect a
     directory, and subsequent subdirectories in the manner I want.

     Please help with anything you feel would be relevant.  If they are
     correct, then I would appreciate any information about good vendors.
     If they are incorrect, then I would appreciate knowing how we can
     protect the directories.

     Thank you in advance for your help.

     George Fowler
     Electronic Services Manager