[WEB4LIB] Virus just hit the list

Araby Y Greene araby at unr.edu
Mon Dec 4 12:28:29 EST 2000

Yes, I just got the virus from a trusted colleague from whom it would be
plausible to get such a message; it got past Norman, which is an
anti-virus program updated daily on all our computers. I'm sending this
from a Linux box so it cannot send it again. Ordinarily, I *never* open
attachments, and it's a lesson that no matter whose name is on the
message, or how up to date your virus protection supposedly is, ignore it.
This particular virus changes filenames to include the phrase "at least
LINUX," and sends itself to everyone in your address list. I won't be
sending *any* msgs from my PC until it's purged.

Araby Greene

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Drew, Bill wrote

> Don't be alarmed but I just got a message from the web4lib list that
> contained a virus. Don't open any messages that have a subject line
> containing "a great shockwave movie".  It is the creative virus.  This is a
> verified virus by the way!
>
> For more information go to:
>

> http://www.commandcom.com/virus/creative.html
>
> http://www.msnbc.com/news/sullivan.asp
>

> ___________________
> Wilfred (Bill) Drew
> Associate Librarian, Systems and Reference
> SUNY Morrisville College Library
> drewwe at morrisville.edu.edu
> Home: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/
> Not Just Cows: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/
> Library: http://www.morrisville.edu/library/
> Wireless Librarian Experience: http://wirelesslibrarians.blogspot.com/
> Have Laptop -- Will Travel.
>
> "George Dubya Bush was asked if he knew the historical importance of Roe vs.
> Wade, and he explained that was the decision faced by George Washington when
> he crossed the Delaware."

Araby Greene
Web Development Librarian
University of Nevada, Reno