[WEB4LIB] Re: TIFF Plug-Ins and USPTO

Mary Pugh mpugh at orcaslibrary.org
Fri Dec 29 17:29:34 EST 2000

I did only a typical install of IE5 and did not add any bells and whistles.
I never know what to add until a patron requests something or a problem
arises. We try to keep the workstations as simple as possible. Keeping the
"plain jane" plug-ins is our way of limiting the games/music/video
entertainment user.

We have an NEC 870 network printer installed for patron printing running on
our NT4 sp5 network with   NT workstations. Usually the USPTO site will
print just the left frame and not the image. Once in a while it will print
only one page of the image. I have tried to select a portion of the image
for printing and I can't do that either.

At 12:42 PM 12/29/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Hmmm.  Wang Imaging is one of the Accessories in the Start Menu (at least in
>NT).  Maybe it's the default TIFF viewer if you have nothing else installed; I
>put assorted viewers on during my IE installs so I can't say for sure.
>
>I haven't noticed any particular speed problems with it, but I'll have to try
>the USPTO site when I'm installing a new PC next week before I put the viewers
>on.  Can you explain your printing problem?  AlternaTIFF appears to have more
>image manipulation features than Wang Imaging, but I don't see why you
>couldn't
>print.
>
>Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
>Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org

Mary Pugh				Orcas Island Library District
Administrative Assistant		500 Rose Street
Network Administrator			Eastsound, WA 98245
www.orcaslibrary.org			360.376.4985