[WEB4LIB] Re: The TIFF-Hungry

Richard Wiggins wiggins at mail.com
Fri Dec 29 10:32:46 EST 2000

It seems to me there are two questions here: the right archival format, and the right format for transmission to diverse Internet users.

Isn't it pretty well accepted that TIFF remains the format of choice for archival storage of digitized images of documents?  So at that level the choice is understandable.

Besides the question of finding a TIFF plugin, you have to ask about the efficiency of shipping large TIFF files over potentially slow network links.  It seems like there are far better alternatives:

-- Thumbnails pointing to ever-larger JPEG images (the largest could even be the TIFF).  See http://history.rhpl.org/Time_Machine/1910s.htm for examples of 4 levels of resolution of a post card collection.

-- PDF (even if in image format internally)

-- HP's FlashPix format, or some other proprietary format.  This may require users to download and install a plugin, but the progressive steps to higher resolutions could be made most efficient for the user and the publisher alike.

/rich