[WEB4LIB] Re: Chip creep and power surges

Johnson Darryl darryl.johnson at nlc-bnc.ca
Thu Aug 31 11:12:06 EDT 2000

'Chip Creep' was more of a problem with older PCs, in which many chips were
simply inserted into sockets. In modern PCs, many of the chips are now
either soldered into place, or, in the case of CPUs, are held in place by
retainers of one kind or another.

Back in the early 80s, when memory consisted or rows and rows or 64K RAM
chips inserted into sockets, I would regularly open the PC and blow out the
dust, followed by pressing down on each of these socketed chips, one after
the other. In many cases, you could feel (and sometime hear) the chips being
settled firmly back into their sockets again. And not only memory chips, but
BIOS chips and many other support chips, on the motherboard and on cards,
were inserted into sockets where they would, over time, work loose.

The first line of attack when a PC started displaying erratic behaviour, was
opening it up and resetting the chips, followed by a utility to check the
memory chips. Ah, the good old days! I think I still have a few plastic
tubes of 64K RAM chips hiding in the darker recesses of my file cabinets....

    Darryl Johnson                    Darryl.Johnson at nlc-bnc.ca
    ITS, User Support
    National Library of Canada

<snip>