[WEB4LIB] Re: Powering down PCs

Debra Lords dlords at library.utah.edu
Thu Aug 31 10:04:44 EDT 2000

One question, Robert, that you don't address is the issue of the
amount of power it takes to turn on the machine.  I've heard the
power drawn to turn on a PC is greater than the amount of power
needed to run it through the night.  If this is true -- and you
don't offer evidence to the contrary, turning PCs off at night
may actually harm the environment.  I don't know, it just an
argument I've heard and is the primary reason we do not shut off
our computers.  What is the cross-over point at which it is
better to have the PC off.  Across a weekend, most certainly, but
daily?  Dunno.  Monitors?  Turn them off, no questions asked.

In my work area, "through the night" comprises 4 to 10 hours of
non-availability, depending on which lab is in question.  I am in
charge of PCs in open-access student labs at my University.
Absolutely we turn off monitors because the warming of the local
environment in our small labs is very evident, but we extend the
practice to larger labs for the greater environmental concern.

Also, for your assertion that the technology exists to do remote
start-ups of the machines, this is true, but it does not mean
that all areas have this technology in place.  I do not have it
on about 1/3 of the machines I support.  This will be eliminated
in 2-3 years as we replace these older machines.  But we have a
very aggressive machine replacement program that is funded by the
students for the labs.  In our library, the story is very
different.  Staff machines may be used for 7-10 years before they
are replaced.  Our 5 year old machines from the labs are being
re-distributed in the library so staff without computers can get
some and others get even older machines replaced.  The support
folks there don't really have the staff to go around and change
out all of the network cards *and* motherboards to ensure this
feature.  Doing this is not a trivial process, as I am sure you
are aware.  And this is separate from the question of the money
to get the newer motherboards and network cards.

I guess what this boils down to is folks have to figure out what
works for your setting.  For those fortunate enough to have both
the money and the staff to upgrade machines to the newer
technology, congradulations.  Sympathy to those who do not.
However, don't let the IT folks fool you into leaving them on
unless its necessary.  Find out if the machines have Wake-On-Lan.

Me?  I leave my personal PC on all of the time, even when I'm on
vacation.  My development guy uses my extra hard drive space for
his backup working copies because his own hard drive is so full.
I back up my machine to the network every night.  My other staff
use applications only on my machine that requires some special
formatting software that is not justified to put on their
machines.  From home I attach to my work machine to move files
back and forth so I can work at home sometimes.  But the monitor
is off.

So I guess I'm seconding what Dan Marmion says.  Each institution
has to determine, based on the utilization levels of their
machines and the technology available there, what is best for
them and for the environment.

But I am a bear about turning off monitors -- even if they have
sleep mode.  It still takes power to run that little light on the
front and monitors create tremendous heat.  And the IT folks
DON'T need those on to do upgrades.  So turn off the monitors.

--

Debbie

Debra Lords			Experience is what you
dlords at library.utah.edu		have just right after