[WEB4LIB] WEB4LIB digest 1948

Eric Tull tull at ucalgary.ca
Thu Aug 31 02:09:13 EDT 2000

In addition to EZProxy, rewriting proxies have been developed
independently by Brown University (see recent posting by Richard
Goerwitz with a chance to test), by University of Calgary and possibly
by others.

The University of Calgary's webrelay program was described in Dr. Dobb's
Journal (February 2000) and I will be talking about it at the upcoming
Access2000 conference in St. John's.  We have it working for about 2000
electronic products from some 70 different publishers/vendors.  It is a
mainstay of our electronic library services.

For your criteria,
1. no changes to browser setting - it meets this most of the time but
requires in the case of the proxy server for one ISP.
2. transparent to user - it meets this
3. works for firewall - it works for some, but a few may have problems,
as does the proxy server above
4. logins secure - logins are not encrypted - it uses SIRSI patron
database, and is as secure as renewing books on catalogue
5. setup and tweaking - it is fairly easy to set up, but it requires
frequent complex tweaking and retesting as new databases are added and
as vendors change their already working databases.

Eric Tull
Public Services Systems Librarian
University of Calgary Library