[WEB4LIB] Re: Catalog Use Only (Public Stations)

David Merchant merchant at latech.edu
Wed Aug 30 14:57:50 EDT 2000

>Don't power them down.  No reason to do so.  Doing so will shorten
>their life anyway.

Doing the Devil's Advocate, at least in our situation at my library,
leaving the computers on mean 24 hours of drawing in our incredibly dusty
atmosphere inside the computer, especially our Reference Center computers
which sit right in the path of several air ducts, I have blown out huge
dust jack-rabbits over and over again from them.  Such heavy coating of
dust can be argued as unhealthy for the computer's life as well.  And, we
have many old computers who at times tend to have their fans die on them
during the night, and I get a call of a dead computer that is smelling like
there may be smoke coming out of it, upon opening the case I find extreme
heat, memory chips that are burning hot to the touch (as they resided right
under the power supply whose fan had died), and fying dust bunnies. I thus
recommend at my library that the older computers, at least, are turned off,
and I will be advocating that the reference center ones be turned off as
well (also, at least rebooting them will clear out the memory registers,
allow us to clear out any print jobs that have hung in the background, etc).

But it is agreed that turning off and on does have the disadvantage of chip
creep and power surges, the latter bad for life span.

TTFN,
David
Head, Systems Dept, Louisiana Tech University
merchant at latech.edu
JavaScript List Administrator (www.mountaindragon.com/javascript/)
Webmaster, HTML Encyclopedia (www.mountaindragon.com/html/)
Memorial Day Page: www.mountaindragon.com/memorial/