[WEB4LIB] permission to link to websites? -Reply

Janice White Janice.White at fct-cf.x400.gc.ca
Wed Aug 30 07:51:41 EDT 2000

I am not sure about legalities here, but as a matter of respect and courteousy, I ask for permission to link to others pages.  I also request for a return link on their page.  It doesn't always work out though and I avoid linking to pages that reject our requests.  It would certainly avoid the problem you are having, which yes, is pushing it.  If you are getting their site exposure, they should appreciate that and you should be the one demanding a return link!  But this is my opinion of course and as I said not based on legal requirements.

Janice White
Federal Court of Canada Library

>>> DDA.RFC-822=web4lib(a)sunsite.berkeley.edu 08/30/00 11:39am >>>
Does anyone know for sure whether you need permission to link to websites? I thought that it was understood that once you have a web presence, you are pretty much fair game for linking. I have recently received an irate email from a sponsor of a website demanding that we credit them as a sponsor even though the website is a separate entity. I think that's pushing it.
Linda Woods Hyman, MLS., MA.
Pacific Bell Education First
(619) 237-2020
http://www.kn.pacbell.com