Catalog Use Only (Public Stations)

Laurie Schladweiler schladweiler at pimacc.pima.edu
Tue Aug 29 16:01:57 EDT 2000

I searched the archives but could not find answers to these questions.
We've just made the switch from a combination of dumb terminals and pc's
to all pc's.  In the past, patrons could use either the text only or the
web version of the catalog.  How would you recommend restricting some of
the web stations for library catalog use only?  We'd like to utilize the
software rather than just signs for patrons; perhaps restricting to a
specific url? Or?

Also, in situations where 20-40 pc's need to be shut down at night by
one staff person (either in a training room or in a public area on the
main floor) are there any recommendations for a new or rennovated space
to make this easier?  We've discussed powering down from the Information
Desk with a system that "sees" all the stations or electrical solutions
where we actually we want the power disconnected for a vacation or break
period.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!  Thanks!

Laurie Schladweiler
West Campus Library
Pima Community College
Tucson, AZ