Proxy Servers for windows NT

Peter Murray PMurray at law.uconn.edu
Sun Aug 27 21:02:09 EDT 2000

--On Wednesday, August 23, 2000 4:32 PM -0700 "Sutherland, Paul"
<Paul.Sutherland at ccc.govt.nz> wrote:

> Does anyone have experience or suggestions of a suitable replacement that
> runs on NT.
>
> We need a product that can run serveral different instances on different
> ports with different proxy settings, and the ability to have allow and
> deny filters that offer a good granularity

I talk about a number of proxy servers in the LITA Regional Institute on
Web Proxy Servers and Authentication.  On the free side, there are
precompiled binaries for Apache with the mod_proxy module available.  Squid
has been cross-compiled into Windows, but the developers admit that it
needs so worked to be optimized on that platform.

On the commercial side, Microsoft's Proxy server doesn't support filtering
itself, but does support 3rd-party plug-ins with categorized lists of sites
to be blocked.  Winproxy supports web proxying with either "Site
blacklisting" or "Site whitelisting", but also does Network Address
Translation, or NAT.  WebManager from Sagebrush Corp (Winnebago) also
supports allow lists and deny lists.

I don't know if any of these suport multiple instances on different ports.
That's not something I've looked at...

If there are examples of other proxies used in libraries, I'd appreciate
hearing from you.

Apache
http://www.apache.org/

Squid
http://www.squid-cache.org/

Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0 (to be replace by something in W2K soon)
http://www.microsoft.com/proxy/

WinProxy
http://www.winproxy.com/

WebManager from Sagebrush Corp (Winnebago)
http://www.sagebrushcorp.com/tech/webmanager.cfm

Peter
--
Peter Murray, Computer Services Librarian              W: 860-570-5233
University of Connecticut Law School             Hartford, Connecticut