Auto-classification/search engine examples

ernest perez eperez at sparkie.osl.state.or.us
Fri Aug 25 17:35:53 EDT 2000

Web4Lib folks,

I've been working here at the Oregon State Library evaluating software for application to GILS (Government Information Locator System) purposes. I recently attended an Inxight Corp. presentation offered through our State DAS (Dept. of Administrative Services) here in Oregon. The intent was for general DAS usage possibility, but it appeared to me
to be an interesting alternative approach for GILS application.

It's based on automated auto-classification and linguistic/contextual analysis, and it sort of "does it itself," a la Verity Topic. You CAN fine-tune classification rules for special emphasis or nuances, impose a defined hierarchy, etc.

The software has a lot of facilities that aren't evident in posted demos. We saw these tools and options during the demonstration. Lots of little user assists for keyword searches, field specifications and ranges, dates, publisher/origin, etc.

I've put up a summary comment and example link page at <http://www.osl.state.or.us/ep/inxight.htm>. I hope you'll find it interesting.

This software is an interesting approach, mixing GUI/visual presentation with some powerful text classification and search engine processing.

Cheers,
- ernest
Ernest Perez, Ph.D.
Group Leader