[WEB4LIB] "library" domain name (long)

JTB jdmoore at fedcir.gov
Tue Aug 22 16:12:01 EDT 2000

I was interested in knowing that myself. Actually, it might make more sense
to have "library" be a sub-domain (except for public libraries) of whatever
organization it might be a part of, i.e., library.internic.net or
library.microsoft.com, etc. Public libraries frequently have a sub-domain
of their local government, or are named under the generic "town.state.us"
rubric (as per your email domain name, city.windsor.on.ca); see, e.g.
http://www.nic.us/ to apply for one of these domains.

Anyway, as another web4lib correspondent did, I did a little research at
the ICANN website to see what is involved in getting a new TLD (top level
domain): http://www.icann.org For the first thing, you will need $50k to
get ICANN to even look at the idea. That is the application fee to get them
to consider a new TLD. Next, you have a very narrow window of opportunity,
as the applications must be in very soon. Lastly, your proposal for the new
TLD must show how you plan to technically manage the maintenance of the
name servers required. In other words, ICANN's response to the idea of new
TLD's is: "don't bother us..." because few entities will spend $50k+ for
something they won't be able to make any money on (except companies
interested in selling the new domain names, a la Network Solutions
http://www.networksolutions.com/ , et al.) On the other hand, I can also
see why they (ICANN) wouldn't want to pay for it themselves.

Want to have some input at ICANN? Notice at the ICANN website that the time
period for joining the at-large membership of ICANN has expired. What
public-spirited organization has a dead-line as to whether or not you can
join? Does National Geographic have a deadline for joining? Does the
Internet Society have a membership deadline:
http://www.isoc.org/isoc/membership/ ? Some unkind souls have suggested
that ICANN became terrified at the prospect of being overrun by a
democratically elected membership, instead of a being run by a bunch of
suits representing big $$ domain registration companies and dot coms, and
ended the at-large registration process:
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/00/07/24/000724oplivingston.xml .
Some don't think ICANN is supportive of the at large membership:
http://www.applyatlarge.com/ . Others have suggested that they were swamped
by the number of applications and will reopen the membership process again
later.
Still interested? Here are the application instructions:
http://www.icann.org/tlds/new-tld-application-instructions-15aug00.htm

At 11:38 AM 08/22/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Is anyone taking the initiative on behalf of libraries to create a "library"
>suffix?
>
>  <<Internet Body Accepting Proposals for Domain Name Alternatives.htm>>
>
>http://www.windsorpublic.library
>
>Donna Marentette
>Windsor Public Library
>dmarentette at city.windsor.on.ca

John D. Moore
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit Library
202.312.5503
fax 202.786.7015