_ BMW(sm): A Registry of Multimedia Web Books_

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Tue Aug 22 12:16:35 EDT 2000

                 _ BMW(sm): A Registry of Multimedia Web Books_

    This Spring I posted the message below to various e-lists regarding the availability of Web e-Books with Multimedia Content and received only one tangential response.

   This weekend I read with great interest a story in abcnews,com
on Electronic Textbooks as the Coming Campus Fad [http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/tech/DailyNews/etextbooks000818.html ] It's a short AP story but quite informative.

   To my pleasant surprise, the piece talks about Multimedia Web e-Books:

<QUOTES>

Flexibility is the quality professors mention most. While the traditional college textbook is updated once every few years, e-books can be updated every year, or even during the semester. The electronic format also allows for links to newspaper articles and other supplementary texts and for audio and visual aids [emphasis added].

"I was talking to a textbook publisher about having an audio feed attached to a math problem," said Julie Greenblatt, vice president of business development at Versaware Inc., an e-publisher. "Instead of just having the teacher walk you through the problem, a narrator walks you through and uses visuals to illustrate [emphasis added]."

"The text is no longer frozen on the page, "Berg said. "You click the screen and get a five-minute talk from the president of the Ford Motor Company or read an article about the latest on the Microsoft case.

</QUOTES>

   With this latest news, I am once again reposting my original request information for Any and All Multimedia Web e-Books (BMW) titles and/or publications about  BMW. [As I have done in the past I will create a clearinghouse / registry of titles along with a General Bibliography of relevant publications for identified items. I expect that at some point I will name it BMW(sm) and that at some point it will be available at
[ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/BMW.htm]

[BTW: For those interested in multimedia Web e-journals, please visit
M-Bed(sm), my Registry of Embedded Multimedia Electronic Journals
at: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/M-Bed.htm]

   As Always, Any and All contributions, queries, questions, comments, cosmic insights, etc. will be Most Welcome!

/Gerry McKiernan
Theoretical Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

           "The Best Way to Predict the Future is to Stream It"
                       With Apologies (again) to Alan Kay
                  _Web e-Books with Multimedia Content_

I am greatly interested in identifying _Web_ e-Books that include multimedia  content (e.g., audio, video, datasets, etc.) along with the text of the e-Book.

I am also particularly interested in any and all _articles, reports, chapters, etc._ that summarize this functionality in WebBooks.

I am aware of e-Journals that include a multimedia component and have created a registry of these types of publications at:

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/M-Bed.htm

[BTW: If you are aware of a multimedia e-journal not listed in _M-Bed(sm)_ please send me its address. Thanks!]

As always, any and all responses are appreciated!