on-site/off-site proxy access issues

Richard L. Goerwitz III richard at goon.stg.brown.edu
Fri Aug 18 17:05:04 EDT 2000

This summer I've finally had a chance to fully update (for a second
time) Brown University's pass-through proxy server (our secure off-
site Library database/journal access facility).

I'm looking for beta testers.

A number of readers of this list have asked for the modules used to im-
plement earlier versions of our pass-through service, and I have unfor-
tunately had to put them off while the system was being rewritten.

Now that it's been rewritten, I'm quite happy to hand them out again.

Anyone who wants them should contact me directly.

Requirements include Perl 5.00503, mod_perl 1.21+, Apache 1.3.9+, and
any fairly recent version of MySQL.  We have alpha tested the software
under Solaris and Linux.  One goal is to verify that it works under
other Unix versions (and, if need be, make reasonable modifications to
ensure that it does).  It may end up working under NT (using an alter-
nate database, or a non-local MySQL server), but I would not encourage
anyone to expend any  effort on NT until all the Unix issues have been
worked out.

An updated version of the technical report outlining how this system
works and why we designed it the way we did, is available (temporarily)
at

  http://catlin.cis.brown.edu/techreports/proxy/

Please do not publish this URL.  It's fine to circulate it - or even to
create links to it.  Just don't put it anywhere really official - at
least not without marking it as temporary.

--
Richard Goerwitz                                Richard_Goerwitz at Brown.EDU