[WEB4LIB] RE: internet access and games

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Fri Aug 18 14:51:15 EDT 2000

Friday, August 18, 2000, 10:10:26 AM, you wrote:

MM> If you have unlimited Internet access at your library, as we
MM> do, you'll know that no matter what you do to block things, somehow they
MM> find a way around it anyway.

Whether you SHOULD block anything or not is a political, operational,
and policy issue.  However, if one decides to block it is easy to do.
I manage a shared blacklist of web email, game, and chat sites at
http://www.riverofdata.com/tools/   From that page you can see the
actual blacklist or a paper on how to do the blocking with a proxy
server.  Yes, new sites keep popping up, but it is easy to add them to
the list.  A number of other libraries contribute to the list.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA