[WEB4LIB] Re: Banner ads and ages

HTheyer htheyer at pacbell.net
Thu Aug 17 21:42:30 EDT 2000

When I did a presentation on kids and the Internet for parents, I always
include a study done on kids and TV commercials.  (I don't have my notebook
in front of me, so I can't cite it here, but here is the gist of it)

Young kids shown a TV show with commercials, then asked to describe the plot
of the show will incorporate the commercials into the show even if it makes
no logical sense.  For example, they have the characters of the show going
to a place shown in the commercial, or have the character from the
commercial as part of the show.  It is especially true if the show and the
commerical are both animated.

There are reasons for limits on advertising to kids.  TV shows for kids
specifically have "bumpers" to tell the audience you are leaving or
returning to the show.  That's where the cheery few seconds of "Scoooby Doo
will be right back!" comes from, it's mandated by law.  You also cannot show
a commercial featuring characters from a show during a kids show.  That is
why Flintstones cereal is not advertised during the Flintstones, and the
Simpsons are not selling Butterfingers during the Simpsons show.  Again,
mandated by law.

I think the same should apply to ads of any kind on kids web sites.  They
should be labeled "advertisement" and not feature the same "characters" as
the site.  I think most ads for kids on the Internet are brighter, flashier,
and more visually "attractive" than the sites they are on, and that is a
pity.

I haven't done my presentation in a while, but most parents were stunned to
hear that there is regulation on advertising to kids on TV.  One Mom said
"But the commercials are so frequent and annoying I just assumed nobody was
doing anything about it."  Think of how bad it would be if nobody was.

I don't know how this will apply to library web sites, but the parallel is
interesting to consider.

Hillary Theyer