[WEB4LIB] Internet in Childrens' department

Phillip Whitford pwhitford at braswelllib.org
Thu Aug 17 13:11:12 EDT 2000

Lin,

We currently are in a single level structure but our Children's Room is
physically separate from the rest of the library and they have their own
computer area with Internet access. Next summer we are to move into our new
two story facility where the Children's Room will again have their own
computers.  In addition to Internet access stations we have story book
computers, systems configured for word processing, and systems with
educational games and age appropriate reference resources. We have a
separate area for adults to use for word processing and Internet access.
There are also separate computers for both children and adults may use for
access to databases. We have the children's computers located near a staff
service desk in order to keep an eye on things. We also use system policies
and third party security software to protect the computer's configuration.

Some of our polices concerning the children's computers are different than
the policies we apply to the systems used by adults. For example, we do not
employ blocking software on the systems used by adults and we have different
rules for time limits and printing.  We do not allow adults to use the
children's computers but they are of course allowed to assist the children
they are with. We do not require that a parent give permission to the
library that their child is allowed to use the Internet.

We use a product called Cybersnoop to block access to pornography sites.
Cybersnoop is not as much of a filter product as it is a type of proxy
server. We use it in a reactive mode. The blocked site's URLs are entered
manually into Cybersnoop after they've been identified to the staff either
by a complaining patron or through the staff's observation of the site. This
means that occasionally a child accesses a pornography site and we get an
occasional complaint from a parent. But we feel Cybersnoop allows us a
workable balance between freedom to access information and the concerns of
our community for children's safety.

At present we also block an unaccompanied child's access to chat rooms and
e-mail.  They can use chat and e-mail if they are accompanied by an adult on
a computer in the adult section. However, we have decided to lift the block
on e-mail but it has not yet been implemented. We have a simple review
process to insure that the only sites we block are pornography, chat, and
e-mail sites.

Our polices and procedures have worked well for us and the computers in the
children's room don't offer us much trouble. However, the monitor screens,
keyboards, and mice do require more frequent cleaning. That's it in a large
nutshell. If you have any specific questions I'll be glad to address them.

Phillip Whitford
MIS
Braswell Memorial Library