[WEB4LIB] the local users' large font setting

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Wed Aug 16 12:20:25 EDT 2000

Susanne,

You can never force a user to use your font settings - they can always
override your stylesheets in the browsers.  Plus, they'll be others on this
list who will tell you all the reasons why you shouldn't do this.  If this is
really a problem, I think you need a different approach.  You'll need to
ditch the idea of using the background image in the table cell [..TD
WIDTH="148" HEIGHT="25"  BACKGROUND="../images/button.gif" VALIGN="MIDDLE"
ALIGN="CENTER"..] and use "text" graphics with the graphic attached to the
text.  This is the only way I know to ensure that the text will consistently
appear the way you want it to.  This raises other issues - for example, how
will the text appear on users running in high-resolution modes?  How much
additional download time will it take with all the additional images?
Unfortunately, I don't think there is a simple AND elegant solution to this
problem.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library