[WEB4LIB] Re: Are Banner ads [worse than telemarketing]

Brian Sheppard bboru at si.umich.edu
Thu Aug 10 22:25:31 EDT 2000

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Karen D. Hyman wrote:

> My first choice is that the library gets its own advertisers to illustrate
> certain partnerships and support for the library in its service area --
> and has total control over size, placement, etc.

Let's not overlook the captive library user. Will s/he have the option to
filter it out?

> 3. The benefit to the library is clear, e.g. if the online database vendor
> places the ad on your access page, they will credit your bill by an agreed
> upon amount. (as opposed to "we're lowering your price"  in some vague and
> unspecified way).

In the same vein, perhaps the library should directly credit the users
with, say, printing or photocopy credit. The user, after all, is the one
whose attention is being commodified.

> This choice should be up to the library. Many libraries DON'T want ads and
> just about all of them don't want ads on THEIR service pages that they can't
> control.

I would argue the choice should be up to the user. Let's use market models
for ideas on the efficient use of resources, but let's not abandon
professional ethics to the business imperative.

[Aplolgies to Karen Hyman if my editing has removed context.]

Respectfully,
Brian

Brian Sheppard
bboru at mail.si.umich.edu