[WEB4LIB] Ranganathan Thread - what computers do for the libr ary

Masters, Gary E GEM at CDRH.FDA.GOV
Thu Aug 10 13:46:28 EDT 2000

This is interesting since I see the value added by computers (and the
Internet) to be that to shift us from "just in case" to "just in time."
I can envision a library that has a use for every item that is purchased.
The packers used to say that they used every bit but the squeal. (sorry.)And
never buys anything that will not be used.  Access over acquisition.  In
addition, with electronic journals, we will know who is read and used and
who is not.  That could even drive a new model for publication of article
size writing.

In the past, so many of our bound journals were not used in six months or
even a year.  (This was when I was at North Texas.)

Everything has to be some place.  But why every place?

And the library (of the future?) might spend more time entering local
information into the web and providing it to those who need it when they
need it.

Regards,

Gary

Gary E. Masters