where to get "subject headings"

Debra Shapiro dshapiro at slis.wisc.edu
Thu Aug 10 13:28:31 EDT 2000

I think you're looking for a classification scheme, not subject
headings (50 simple terms to group like materials) I suggest you try
using the top level classifications from LC, (I mean use the word
phrases that go to the letter/numerical classification, like use
Economic History & Conditions, rather than HD 289
Economic history and conditions

see the outline at
http://lcweb.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/lcco/lcco.html
Science & Medicine are not too obscure, Business lurks under H- Social Sciences

Alternatively, you could do the same thing using Dewey
classification, the best place I have seen to get a good free look at
Dewey is at BUBLink:
http://www.bubl.ac.uk/link/ddc.html

It is limited by what they actually have in their collection, but
still gives you a good idea of the class outline.

Best regards,
debra.

dshapiro at slis.wisc.edu
Debra Shapiro