[WEB4LIB] Are Banner ads acceptable on licensed databases

Julia Schult jschult at elmira.edu
Thu Aug 10 11:10:19 EDT 2000

One major reason we are sticking with Britannica Online, instead of
cancelling our subscription and going with Britannica.com (free to everyone,
supported by advertising) is because the screens on the free site are
cluttered with advertising and so-called value-added services.  We want the
quality information from Encyclopedia Britannica, not the "News, Markets,
Sports, Weather, and E-mail."

I don't mind ads in "just for fun" sites that I visit, especially if they are
related to the site, but when I'm doing research or helping a patron, having
banner ads or other marketing diminishes the site and distracts from our
academic mission.

---Julia E. Schult
Access/Electronic Services Librarian
Elmira College