[WEB4LIB] agent log , referrer log and common log

James Cayz cayz at lib.de.us
Thu Aug 10 09:22:16 EDT 2000

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, [iso-8859-1] Stéphane Dudart wrote:
>I am also looking for detail explanations about the above type records for
>web statistic. Have you got interesting sources?
>
>Thanks

Stephane,

There's no source better than looking at the file :-)

The agent log is a log of hits with the user agent (aka browser
type) included.  It often contains the common name of the browser, the
internal name of the browser, the OS platform, and various version
information.

The referrer log contains hits along with their respective referring URL
(page that called the page that the record is for).

The Common log contains the following fields:
host name or IP of requesting computer
username
password
date/time stamp
Request, as a single " delimited string containing:
	HTTPD mehod (GET / POST)
	requested page
Status Code
Bytes Returned

It is possible, perhaps desirable, to combine all three into one Extended
Log, so that cross referencing is eliminated when statsare done, along
with a lot of duplicate record fields.

I hope this helps.

James

| James Cayz          Telecommunications / Network Technician IV           |
| Email:cayz at lib.de.us     Voice:302-739-4748 x130      Fax:302-739-6787   |
| Delaware Division of Libraries # 43 S. DuPont Hwy / Dover, DE 19901-7430 |