[WEB4LIB] Opera 4.02 comments sought

Jeff Papier mercury at voicenet.com
Wed Aug 9 09:06:04 EDT 2000

I can comment on Deep Freeze.

Our library has legions of public computers, for Internet, for Word
Processing, for database access, for catalog access.  Deep Freeze--we're
finishing up a trial run of 60 days--has been a godsend.  Prior to using
this product (if this sounds like a testimonial, 'tis because it is!) I
had formulated two pages of security procedures we all followed.  What
rapture, now,  to be able to simply reboot a PC and know that all the
patron-induced changes will vanish.  Apart from ensuring a boot sequence
of "C only," DF is the only security software we now run, the only
security measure we have to follow.

And what joy for our patrons, who can now right-click, can open up wordpad
or notepad for cutting and pasting jobs, who can send attachments to their
email without having to perform idiosyncratic procedures that prior
security mandated.

At the beginning of our trial with Deep Freeze, network printing with our
HP 4000s seemed very unstable.  The folks at Hypertec were as helpful as
one could wish, but could not put their finger on any connection with DF,
since the software doesn't really interact with printing at all.  I then
updated the HP4000 drivers from www.hp.com, and printing has been as
stable as bedrock ever since.

I'm not one to get too excited about third party products anymore, but
Deep Freeze has given us lots and lots of breathing room, and time to
think about things other than PC security.

With warm recommendations for Deep Freeze,

Jeff Papier	mercury at voicenet.com
Senior Network Librarian
South Brunswick Public Library
Monmouth Junction, NJ 08852