[WEB4LIB] Opera 4.02 comments sought

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Aug 9 07:57:35 EDT 2000

> I am seeking opinions on Opera 4.02. I have not upgraded from 3.62
since each
> susbsequent download seemed to lack valuable enhancements while having
> troublesome bugs.
>
> I am also seeking comments re Deep Freeze from Hypertechnologies.
Thanks in
> advance for any assistance that may be offered.

I've been an Opera user and [mostly] fan since version 2.12.  IMO, 4.0x
is worth the upgrade price, especially if you qualify for the academic
discount, but not worth the new purchase price of US$39.00.  4.02 is
more stable than 4.01 or 4.00, but still shows some buggy behavior and
does not advance Opera's standards support far beyond what you have in
3.62, which is basically acceptable HTML 3.2 support plus good CSS1
support.  I remain modestly optimistic that 4.1 will deliver more of its
promise to support HTML 4 and a growing amount of CSS2.

I recommend the opera.general newsgroup on the news.opera.no news
server.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu