[WEB4LIB] Re: The "Commericialized" Library

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Tue Aug 8 12:28:03 EDT 2000

Hello Catherine/

>>> "Catherine Ingram" <Catherine.Ingram at elmhurst.org> 08/08/00 10:55AM >>>

>About linking to Amazon or B&N or whomever...

>Just a note...  I know that some public libraries have had complaints from >the local "little guy" book stores.  As in:  "Why are you promoting Goliath >(Amazon, B&N) and ignoring David's Book store?!".

       Yes. I now recall e-list discussion on the topic.

> Don't forget that if a local bookseller is paying taxes in your comminity they >may have cause to complain.  And often, the local bookstore is the one >who will be supporting your summer reading program.

        These are valid points, however ....

Linking *may* stimulate a user to visit his/her local library to borrow the book
and/or to purchase the book from the *local* book store.

/Gerry McKiernan
Commercialized Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

           "The Best Way to Predict the Future is to Link to It"
                           With Apologies to Alan Kay
c: Web4Lib