[WEB4LIB] Re: executing from a web page

David Chandler davidc at nethost.multnomah.lib.or.us
Sun Aug 6 18:44:56 EDT 2000

There is also an enhanced command shell for Win9x/NT, but more elaborately
scriptable) called KixStart 95.  It is freely downloaded from:

http://netnet.net/~swilson/kix/

It is now included on NT 4.0 server resource kit supplement 4 cd.
It is launched from a web browser when ".kix" files are associated
with the kix32.exe program in winnt/system32 and scripting of environment
changes and launching of other programs can be handled without the use of
cmd.exe (which is not secure).

In the Multnomah County libraries in Portland, Oregon, childrens
multimedia cdroms, networked cdroms, and other networked applications are
launched.  If you can run applications through Kix without using cmd.exe,
you can remove the command shell and achieve a more secured public
workstation when using NT 4.

You can read about applications of Kix as well as other cdrom-networking
issues on the CDROM-LAN listserv (mostly library oriented):

http://edvmix3.ub.tu-berlin.de/lists/cdromlan/

David Chandler   davidc at nethost.multnomah.lib.or.us      (503)248-5223
Multnomah County Library --------- Portland, Oregon  fax(503)248-5226