[WEB4LIB] Peculiar problem with two computers

Ron Cripe rcripe at dupagels.lib.il.us
Thu Aug 3 14:57:17 EDT 2000

More than likely some other problem has developed on your machine than your
problems being caused by IE5.5.  Not to down-play your problem, but I'm
always a little amused when someone wants to blame Microsoft software
installs for breaking their systems, not that it can't but there is much to
check before arriving at that conclusion.  (The Microsoft OS does not stand
alone in bugginess...)  Microsoft would be out of business tomorrow, for
good, if they released a product to their huge user base that causes the
kind of problem you describe.  It is most likely not the software install
that caused the problem.  I fear that the problem solving you've already
done may have already made your difficulties worse.

* You don't mention in your email if you can telnet anywhere?
* Can you connect to a local network and browse local machines via Network
Neighborhood?
* At a DOS prompt (going to a command shell from within Windows) can you
ping other machines by ip?
* At a DOS prompt (going to a command shell from within Windows) can you
ping other machines by DNS name?
* Have you verified that nothing in your network has changed which the other
workstations were modified to deal with but your laptop missed out on?
* Have you tried other connection locations, bad wall plate?
* Tried a different cable, maybe it has been damaged?
* Does the portable have a PCMCIA Ethernet card or a connector in the back
or side of the unit?  If it is a PCMCIA ensure it is securely connected,
remove and reinsert if necessary (more than once), try another of the same
model PCMCIA if you can.

Just a few things to check I thought of right off....