Naming

JQ Johnson jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Fri Apr 28 15:35:55 EDT 2000

George Porter writes:

>[Ancient, obscure reference alert]  In Zork, the whole point of the tiny,
>twisty, etc passages was to disorient the player.

Apropos of names, my recollection is that the "maze of twisty little
passages, all alike" was introduced not in Zork but in Crowthers' original
Adventure.  The "maze of twisty little passages, all different" was added
to the crystal cave by Don Woods a bit later, perhaps 1977.  I think that
any mazes in Zork were added later as an MIT response to the Palo Alto
gamers.

Can anyone confirm my recollection?  A fortiori, does anyone have a copy
of the fortran source for the original Adventure, or for any of the early
Woods versions?  I have a copy, but it's on a 1600bpi magtape in Tops-20
DUMPER format, and so would be rather hard to read today.

xyzzy

JQ Johnson                      Office: 115F Knight Library
Academic Education Coordinator  mailto:jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
1299 University of Oregon       phone: 1-541-346-1746; -3485 fax
Eugene, OR  97403-1299          http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~jqj/