[WEB4LIB] Re: Naming a library's web presence

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Fri Apr 21 14:09:09 EDT 2000

I guess I don't think of things like those below as "naming" or
"branding".  No argument with the names chosen, but I don't see a lot
of difference between them and "Albertsons Library website" or similar
terminology.

To me, naming is something like naming our online catalog "Catalyst".
No, I didn't name it.  Don't blame me.   Now that we have it in two
formats, web and telnet, we've changed the web name to "WebCatalyst".
Since it was still confusing to people if one referred to just
"Catalyst" (meaning the telnet version), we now refer to that one as
"ClassicCatalyst".  An example of the references can be seen at
http://catalyst.boisestate.edu

Though I've never liked the "Catalyst" moniker, the current two names
seem to work well and make the distinction.

However, we've had NO expressions of interest in naming
http://library.boisestate.edu anything but the library website.  And,
I'm not going to suggest that we do so....since that would probably
mean a committee would be created, polls would be taken, more meetings
held, votes made, administrators consulted, ad nauseam.

The "Catalyst" name was created in 1990 by such a process.  The two
current versions have been created the easy way.  I started using them
to refer to the versions....and no one has argued, and everyone has
picked them up in daily use.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA