Erratic Bounce Back is Netscape/tables problem

Eric Rumsey rumsey at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Thu Apr 6 13:01:17 EDT 2000

I've been doing checking of the erratic bounce back problem reported by Ron
Hutchin a couple of days ago on the list, and it appears that the cause of
the problem is that Netscape doesn't handle tables well. Results of my
mini-study are below.

I copied Ron's original file to our server, and found that it still has the
problem, erratic bounce back on Netscape for Windows (v 4.08) and Netscape
for Mac (v 4.06). Then I tried eliminating everything from the file except
the list, i.e. with no tables - This works fine on Netscape for Windows
(and I assume for Mac also) - doesn't have bounce back problem.

The original file works fine with Internet Explorer, without bounce back
problem, on Windows (v 4.72) and on Mac (v 5.0).

Here are the files in question -

Ron's original file, that has bounce back problem in Netscape -
http://www.mdanderson.org/library/online_journals/jjrnls.html

The same file, copied to our server - still has problem in Netscape -
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/MDAjjrnls.htm

The same file, but containing only the list, with no tables -
Doesn't have bounce back problem in Netscape -
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/MDAjjrnlsplain.htm

A long list file of ours, with no tables, that doesn't have bounce back
problem -
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin-www/hslibs.html

A couple of questions -

Ron says he thinks he has experienced the erratic bounce back problem with
some files on Internet Explorer, but he can't remember which files - Does
anyone know of the problem happening with IE?

I don't have access to Netscape 6 - Does the bounce back problem occur with
the files above in it?

Eric Rumsey, Hardin Library for the Health Sciences
University of Iowa, Iowa City IA 52242
<eric-rumsey at uiowa.edu>
319-335-9875 (voice), 319-335-9897 (fax)
Hardin Meta Directory of Internet Health Sources - Kudos -
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/md/news.html