"Talking About Public Access: PACS-L's First Decade"

Walt Crawford Walt_Crawford at notes.rlg.org
Sun Apr 2 19:06:34 EDT 2000

[Posted to PACS-L in different form. Apologies for cross-posting, but...]

I thought that Web4Lib folk who used to be on PACS-L or who've never been on
that list but recognize the overlap in the two lists' topics might be interested
in this...

I've written an informal tribute to the first decade of PACS-L, and it's ready
to read just a month after the New & Improved PACS-L started up again. The
article name:
"Talking About Public Access: PACS-L's First Decade."

The article is far too long to post here or anywhere else (7,900 words; 51K
characters), so I've put it on my personal Web site, in the "Libraries, Media &
the Future" subsite.

Please use the "front door" for that subsite:

http://home.att.net/~wcc.libmedx

The front door has a people counter--but no banner ads or graphics, so it
shouldn't slow you down.

The article is the first link on the Libmedx home page (until I add something
newer to that subsite, which shouldn't happen for a few weeks at least). The
article is far too long for most of us to read online, but it should print
nicely. Except for a few headings, it uses the default text typeface and size
that you've set for your browser (I'll suggest Times New Roman if you don't
already have a serif typeface set). Using my default typeface, it takes 15 print
pages.

(Quite a few PACS-L participants and moderators contributed to this article, but
it's my work, including conclusions and statistical judgments. I do plan to
prepare an article for print publication on this topic, but that will be 2,000
words or less, so there's a *lot* of editing to do.)

-walt crawford-