[WEB4LIB] Content taxonomy for a database of web sites

Hanan Cohen hanan at qglibrary.org.il
Thu Apr 13 15:17:26 EDT 2000

I have just finished creating a database of web sites. Alas, it is in
Hebrew so you won't learn anything from going there. Anyway...

Our database is called "Sites Database for the Library". It is intended
for use by librarians and patrons. The sites are grouped according to
the Dewey system. We didn't want to make thing complicated so we group
them in tenths, i.e. 90,100,110 etc. We have some exceptions to this
rule for special categories that are important to Israelis like Jewish
history, Israel and the Holocaust, for example.

And... we have "special folders" which enable us to groups sites that
don't find their natural place in the Dewey system. Examples: Electronic
publications, internet indices, consumer issues. Even sites that are
grouped in special folders also have a Dewey folder.

So - each record in the database has the following fields:
Name
Description
Address (url)
Dewey folder
Special folder (optional)
Language (Hebrew/Other)
Keywords

>From the front page,users can open a folder  and see its content or
search for keywords.

The search is done on all the textual fields (name,
description,Dewey,Special folder and Keywords)

The search results are listed and sorted according to their Dewey
folder. The user can go to the site on the list or open the folder in
order to see all the sites in this folder.

When the user clicks a special folder from the main page, the list is
displayed also according to the Dewey folders.

Data input to the database is also nice. I have created a toolbar button
so when I see a site I think should be in the database, I click it and
the input form is opened with the URL and title of the page I am
currently in. If you want I can send you the code.

Good luck
--
Hanan Cohen - http://www.info.oth.il
***Love and Peace***