"Talking About Public Access: PACS-L's First Decade"

Charles W. Bailey, Jr. cbailey at uh.edu
Wed Apr 5 18:52:45 EDT 2000

Thanks to Roy and Dan for the kudos.

Walt used PACS-L subscription figures that I supplied from list
subscription snapshots that I did and stored each month.  Any errors are
mine, not his.

Roy is correct to be skeptical about such counts.  I did mention to Walt
that subscription reports for lists are imprecise because inactive users
can be set to nomail and remain on the list.  Nonetheless, these counts do
provide some broad indication of list subscription trends, and, since
correcting them is not feasible, they are the best indicator that we have
for measuring list growth.  Having spent some time in recent months trying
to come up with reasonably accurate and meaningful use statistics for my
Scholarly Electronic Publishing Bibliography using Apache logs, I feel
confident in saying that you should take first-cut Web site statistics with
a large grain of salt as well.