[WEB4LIB] Re: Erratic Bounce Back - for lack of better terminology

Shawn J.P. West [ Kiratoy ] kiratoy at panix.com
Tue Apr 4 13:22:25 EDT 2000

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Dan Lester wrote:

-:
-:I've not made a full study of this, but have noticed in some cases it
-:appears to be related to anchors within a page.  Generally if you're
-:at an anchor in the middle of a page, it will return to it.  If not,
-:it'll return you to the top.
-:
-:If there are other factors, I don't know what they might be.
-:
-:dan
There is also a problem with how browsers handle the way tables are
constructed. I have found it you have the content outside of a table the
bounce will be a more predictable vs inside table since it's difficult to
design that way anchors are a way around the problem.

I actually did a test where I took the same design and took the text out
and the back button always went back to the last scroll position, put it
in a table and your going to see it move around.

-:
-:
-:

The man who acquires the ability to take full possession of his own
mind may take possession of anything else to which he is justly entitled.
                                        -- Andrew Carnegie