Erratic Bounce Back - for lack of better terminology

rhutchin at mail.mdanderson.org rhutchin at mail.mdanderson.org
Tue Apr 4 12:26:03 EDT 2000

I have noticed a web behavior that I can not find an answer for.  On some sites
when you are on a very long page and click on a link to another site when
you come back to the original page using the back button you will return to
almost exactly where you left from.  An example of this is the list of health
sciences libraries at :  http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin-www/hslibs.html

On other long pages when you leave and return via the back button you will be
returned to the top or near the top of the page you left from.

Does anyone have an answer to why this happens and, more importantly, is there
anything one can add to a web page that will cause this erratic
bounce back not to happen.  I have looked very closely at the html for pages
that do not have erratic bounce back and can find nothing in the
code that looks unusual.

Also, in experimenting I have found that some pages that exhibit erratic bounce
back in Netscape do not exhibit this in IE.  However, I have found that
some pages exhibit this behavior in both Netscape and IE.

Your help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Ron Hutchins