[WEB4LIB] linking to a telnet site

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Mon Sep 27 16:53:49 EDT 1999

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Wagner, Kurt wrote:

> We've had a bit of ongoing trouble linking to telnet sites. I'm hoping
> someone might be able to shed some light on our difficulty. Several years
> ago I created this code:
> <A HREF="telnet://wpc.wilpaterson.edu"> Enter the Online Catalog</A>
> which initiated a telnet session. We have made use of a variety of telnet
> clients, Smartterm, QvtTERM, and MS-NT's telnet application. No matter which
> one is set as the preferred application, nothing much happens. When we first
> set this up, the application would launch, connect to the host, and display
> a username prompt. Now, the best that will happen is that the application
> will launch, but hangs up right there.
>
> This condition repeats no matter which telnet site we're linking to, be it
> our own wpc.wilpaterson.edu or other library/data sources.

When, in a browser, you click on a cross-reference of this type (or at the
command line type "start telnet://wpc.wilpaterson.edu"), Windows will look at
its "URL:telnet" file type (so-called) to determine how to deal with it. That
SHOULD be configured to name to program to be called, AND specify that the URL
will be passed as a parameter. That is, it is not enough to simply name the
program.

By the way, it is also possible to indicate the username and even the password
to be used.

A help document on our web site:
   http://www.anzio.com/support/browsers.htm
talks about this topic, in general terms as well as terms specific to Anzio,
our telnet.

--
Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com or sales at anzio.com or support at anzio.com
 ftp://ftp.anzio.com               voice: 503-624-0360
http://www.anzio.com                 fax: 503-624-0760